Navigating Economic Disruption: A Conversation with Mayor Jenn Daniels (April 8, 2020)

First and foremost, thank you to everyone who participated in this week’s call! A special thank you to Vice-Mayor Anderson for leading the call this week! Here is a brief recap of today’s meeting. We will forward the link to listen to the entire conversation soon.

Based on this week’s conversation, our next call will include open dialogue with the Town and Chamber. Please send us your questions by Friday at noon –

Top 5 takeaways from today’s discussion:

1. The Governor signed 5 additional Executive Orders this week dealing with:

    1. Restrictions For Certain Out-Of-State Travelers - Under the Executive Order, anyone who travels to Arizona from an area with substantial community spread through any airport in the state must isolate or quarantine themselves upon arrival for 14 days. More details HERE.
    2. Protecting Our Seniors And Most Vulnerable - The order requires all staff to use appropriate personal protective equipment, implement symptom checks for those entering the facility, and more. More details HERE.
    3. Data-Driven Decisions - The order expands health care reporting requirements on hospitals and health care providers to better track data needed to protect health care workers and patients and help slow the spread of COVID-19. More details HERE.
    4. Flexible Food Item and Sale of Goods at Restaurants - The executive order allowing restaurants to repackage and sell grocery items that they have on hand, including things not normally packaged or labeled for resale. More details HERE
    5. Establishes Virtual Notary Services - In partnership with Secretary of State Katie Hobbs, Governor Doug Ducey today issued an Executive Order allowing Arizonans to get documents notarized remotely, while ensuring secure and effective verification processes. More details HERE.

2. We anticipate receiving final guidelines for unemployment claims this week to smooth out the application processes. Keep in mind that if you are applying for the Payroll Protection Program (PPP) loan you must designate the 8 weeks of payroll costs to be used prior to June 30th; 75% of the loan must be used for payroll costs, with the remaining 25% used for rent or utilities, in order for the loan to be forgivable.

3. Gilbert Police Chief Mike Soelberg recommends you take the following safety steps if you are reducing your hours or closing your business:

    1. Move valuables out of sight or lock them up.
    2. If you have an alarm system, please make sure the Police Department has it registered HERE.
    3. You may register your business on the “vacation” watch list to notify the Police Department the facility is closed HERE.
    4. Check to make sure your video surveillance is working as this will help solve any crimes that may occur during your absence.

4. Arizona@Work provides assistance if you are hiring at this time or if you have displaced workers you’d like to help find work. CLICK HERE.a. Continue checking the Town and Chamber’s websites and resource pages. and

5. Representative Jennifer Pawlik noted the State Legislature has not received a date to reconvene the session, therefore, there is no current information about the potential of extending due date for property tax or estimated tax payments at this time. If you’d like to watch tomorrow’s ­Finance Advisory Committee, Thursday 11-12:30, follow these instructions: (Click Live Proceeding [top right corner of the page], click Senate Hearing Room One) JLBC staff will discuss budget projections­.

In closing, our weekly calls will be held each Wednesday at 9am through April 15th. You’ll need to register for each call separately. REGISTER NOW for next week’s call.

We encourage you to continue to reach out and share your thoughts about future calls; these calls are designed for you and we want to ensure we are covering topics of most interest to the group.

Stay positive and know you aren’t in this alone!

Mayor Jenn Daniels
Patrick Banger, Town Manager
Dan Henderson, Director of Gilbert Economic Development
Kathy Tilque, CEO Gilbert Chamber of Commerce
Sarah Watts, VP Gilbert Chamber of Commerce