Creating a Purpose Statement is an extremely personal process that explores endless possibilities for your future. You need to think about what you want your life to be like, and what you don’t, along with any self-imposed limitations that may appear along the way. Creating your Purpose Statement works to unlock your true passion and is deeply intertwined with your emotional state. You’ll know you’ve found your purpose once you begin to wake up energized and excited to start every day. There are some key techniques to creating your purpose statement, which are as follows:
- Don’t rush. Everything that’s good in life takes time. If you’re struggling to think of ideas, take a break and revisit the process later.
- Be selfish when you’re defining your life’s values, passion, and purpose. You can always work on how it impacts others once you’ve reached that stage. Give yourself permission to finally put your needs first.
- If you get stuck, ask someone for help. Sometimes an outside perspective helps you better understand yourself.
- Dedicate a substantial chunk of time for the exploration into all of your thoughts and ideas that revolve around your values, passion, and ultimately, your Purpose Statement.
- If ideas don’t come pouring out all at once, don’t stress. This is a process and the more time you take, the deeper you’ll travel.
- Be honest with yourself. Half way through, if you decide that you’re heading in the wrong direction, don’t be afraid to start over. Your Purpose Statement is already inside of you; you just have to discover it.
- Try to think with your heart, not your head. Finding our true meaning won’t come from our thoughts, it will come from our emotions, so focus on how you want your life to feel, not look.
Use the above guidelines and begin to answer the following questions. Work through them sequentially to help develop your Purpose Statement.
- What don’t you want? What have you learned are features that don’t define you? What in your life isn’t a good fit? Why not?
- What do you want? What are you passionate about? What are your best moments? When do you feel most in sync with you? What gives you self-respect or fulfillment? If your life stood for one thing, what would it be?
- What are your priorities? Why do you want the things that you want? How do they make you feel? Why are they important?
- What are your core values? Who are you deep down? Do your current values align with your actions?
- If you passed away today, what would your loved ones say about who you were and what truly mattered today? How do you want to be remembered? Write out your own eulogy or a personal letter.
- Finally, draft your Purpose Statement, how you want to show up in your life and your business, and the fundamental feeling you want to have in the process.
Join us for our next GEM Talk on February 7th, 2019 at 4:00 PM.
Jenny Satcher is an Online Business Manager with Behind the Scene Execs. She has more than 15 years of business and team management experience. It is her mission to service the vision statement for your business keeping you focused on the “Big Picture.”www.BehindtheSceneExecs.com